August 20, 2008

Recipe Roundup: Pfannenkuchen

Before you look at me all crazy, Pfannenkuchen loosely translated are German pancakes. But that doesn't exactly do them justice. They aren't fluffy like normal pancakes. Imagine if a crepe and a pancake had a baby...yeah, that describes them a little better. However you want to describe them, they are DELICIOUS. I grew up eating them and tonight I attempted to make them myself.

Here is the recipe:

1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk
5 eggs
4 tablespoons sugar

Mix together with a wire whisk. The batter will be VERY runny. Don't freak out. Take a deep breath, it's supposed to be that way.


See, runny.

Now have a pan preheating on medium heat (or if you don't want to completely wear yourself, have about 2-3 pans going). Pour a little oil into your pan, take a ladle and put some of the batter into your skillet, swirling it around to cover every inch. Wait a few seconds until the side gets golden brown, flip it, let that side get brown, and you're done. Continue until all the batter is used up.

After they're all done.

Now onto the eating part. Growing up, I always ate them with applesauce and a little sugar on it.

Getting them ready to eat.

Lay your pfannenkuchen flat, smear about 1-2 tablespoons of applesauce on top, then sprinkle with a little sugar. Roll it up into a tube. Cut, eat, and enjoy.

Eat and enjoy!

After you try these, you'll be wondering why you haven't heard of this before.

4 comments:

  1. My Dad always called these "Swedish Pancakes." They are delicious, and good with peaches or applesauce--or just plain. (I put a little more sugar in than you do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look yummy. I need to try those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe. I grew up eating these with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. You might want to try it for some extra calories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking my DD will love these. Thanks for the recipe. :) ~~Rhonda
    christmasnotebook.com

    ReplyDelete